Thursday, June 25, 2020

Free Books Online Autobiography of a Face

Declare Books Concering Autobiography of a Face

Original Title: Autobiography of a Face
ISBN: 0060569662 (ISBN13: 9780060569662)
Edition Language: English
Free Books Online Autobiography of a Face
Autobiography of a Face Paperback | Pages: 256 pages
Rating: 3.97 | 23605 Users | 1516 Reviews

Describe About Books Autobiography of a Face

Title:Autobiography of a Face
Author:Lucy Grealy
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Special Edition
Pages:Pages: 256 pages
Published:March 18th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1994)
Categories:Autobiography. Memoir. Nonfiction

Explanation Conducive To Books Autobiography of a Face

I spent five years of my life being treated for cancer, but since then I've spent fifteen years being treated for nothing other than looking different from everyone else. It was the pain from that, from feeling ugly, that I always viewed as the great tragedy of my life. The fact that I had cancer seemed minor in comparison.

At age nine, Lucy Grealy was diagnosed with a potentially terminal cancer. When she returned to school with a third of her jaw removed, she faced the cruel taunts of classmates. In this strikingly candid memoir, Grealy tells her story of great suffering and remarkable strength without sentimentality and with considerable wit. Vividly portraying the pain of peer rejection and the guilty pleasures of wanting to be special, Grealy captures with unique insight what it is like as a child and young adult to be torn between two warring impulses: to feel that more than anything else we want to be loved for who we are, while wishing desperately and secretly to be perfect.

Rating About Books Autobiography of a Face
Ratings: 3.97 From 23605 Users | 1516 Reviews

Appraise About Books Autobiography of a Face
Wow! A truly touching story filled with so many little life lessons. A story that makes me cringe a little with guilt when I realize how good I have it yet how often I sometimes take my life for granted, my health for granted, my friends and family for granted... Ms. Grealy opened my eyes up to another world where she had every right to let life beat her down yet she continued to find strength and confidence and continued to somehow pull herself back up, hold her head high and continue to face

possibly i made a big mistake by reading this & then immediately reading truth & beauty by ann pratchett (as well as some of suellen grealy's choice comments about how ann pratchett never should have written truth & beauty). my immediate thoughts on this book were something along the lines of, "not bad. she really touches a nerve about the power & perception of beauty in women. she seems to have some demons, but has to be incredibly strong to go through everything she has gone

I read Ann Patchetts Truth and Beauty a while back and was intrigued by Greelys story. I was excited to read Greelys version (especially since there was such controversy between her family and Patchett). As a former student of physical attractiveness (my MA dealt with the mechanics and development of measuring facial physical attractiveness), I was curious to read about Greelys experience. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.I think part of my disappointment in this book was due to my knowledge

TIP: To be read AFTER Ann Patchetts Truth and Beauty. This autobiography is very engaging and well written. The author tells of her experience with cancer, but she states that while she spent only a certain amount of her youth being treated for cancer, she spent the rest of her life being treated for looking different than everyone else. This is an exploration into a very interesting and intense individual far more than it is a documentary about the affects of cancer. It is rich in language and

A beautifully written memoir about the late Grealy's struggle with childhood cancer leading to many, many reconstructive surgeries over 20 years. She tells her story with wit and perspective which seems improbable given what she went through. The treatments sound pretty primative now. I recommend resisting the urge to follow this up with Ann Patchett's about Grealy after she died. Patchett reveals a lot about Grealy and I wished I could have un-read these details and returned to the stronger,

Ehm...at the risk of sounding completely cold, I did not like this book. I spent most of the book so consumed by frustration for Lucy's mother and Lucy's own perceptions that I couldn't allow myself to feel anything else for her. Yes, she was a cancer survivor, and she was treated horribly by her peers growing up. But sometime after the large portion of her jaw was removed, she admits that she didn't even understand that she had had cancer until many years later! She thought that people stared

At an early age, Lucy Grealy was found to have a rare form of cancer. It would define the rest of her life. A third of her jawbone was removed to try to stem the spread of this cancer. She endured two and a half years of chemotherapy and many subsequent years of radiation treatments. In addition, she had literally dozens of surgeries attempting to restore her face. Each time her body would eventually absorb transplanted material and sag back in on itself. Consider the garden-variety cruelty of

0 comments:

Post a Comment